Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audiio source/sink ( Was Like writing DSP code? H

From: Iain Young, G7III
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Audiio source/sink ( Was Like writing DSP code? Hate editing makefiles?)
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 18:07:59 +0000

On 28/01/12 12:19, Alexandru Csete wrote:

I think you misunderstand. The jack audio block is intended to be a
backend, as are all other audio subsystems. They are all accessed via
one unified API, which is already available as python and GRC block
(audio sink/source). The application doesn't know whether you are
using ALSA, JACK, portaudio, ....  You can choose which audio backend
to use in a configuration file, see etc/gnuradio/conf.d/gr-audio.conf

Ah, thank you Alex. I had indeed slightly mis-understood. I always knew
the Audio Sink was ALSA/JACK/Port Audio/whatever in gnuradio, Just from
the options in the GRC block, assumed it patched into ALSA -only-.
Thanks for making that clear to me, I shall try it once the new PC
arrives.

Now for the big question...I see no way within the GRC block to say
"This instance of Audio Sink goes to JACK, port x", while another
instance goes to "ALSA hw:4,0,1"...

Anyone know of such a way within GRC ? I'm looking at grabbing a chunk
of 144MHz and:

   o sending a bunch of AX.25 channels to a soundmodem driver
   o other "important" (local repeaters) channels to jack, and
   o specific emcomms frequencies to a bi-directional repeater running
within the same (admittedly very large) graph.

I would dearly love to be able to have both the ALSA devices *and* the
JACK devices within the same flow-graph, but gr-audio.conf would appear
to be global ?

73s

Iain