Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does the gr.enable_realtime_scheduling() affe

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How does the gr.enable_realtime_scheduling() affect flow graph? How to avoid receive own data?
Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 21:07:42 -0500

On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 3:04 PM, Zhonghua <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi all,

I applied Josh's new block "stream_selector", it is a great selector which allow to set dynamic path without stop flow. But I still have some problem with my flow graph. That is a issue relating to gr.enable_realtime_scheduling(). I use signal from another process to control the open and close of my flow based on the new stream_selector. If the gr.enable_realtime_scheduling() exists the receiving action looks very slow and the signal handler function reacts wrong sometimes. If cancers the gr.enable_realtime_scheduling(), all things looks very well but own data packages transmitted are received sometimes and then the desired packages can not be received at that moment.
Who knows how the gr.enable_realtime_scheduling() affect flow graph? How can avoid receive own data when work in duplex mode. I have modified the configuration in /uhd/host/lib/usrp/dbboard/db_rfx.cc to make:

this->get_iface()->set_atr_reg(dboard_iface::UNIT_RX,dboard_iface::ATR_REG_FULL_DUPLEX, _power_up | ANT_RX2| MIXER_DIS);

But it still receives own data sometimes(not always, also dose not relate to gr.enable_realtime_scheduling()).

Any suggestion is very appreciated.

Sincerely,

Zhonghua

Zhonghua,
The enable_realtime_scheduling tells the OS to give this application priority, which should only improve the performance and reduce any interruption to the operation of the block. The biggest downside that I've observed with using it is that an application can take over the system and be difficult to kill. What you're describing seems counter-intuitive to what it's supposed to do.

Tom