Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reminder about call today

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Reminder about call today
Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2012 11:59:27 -0800

On Thu, Feb 16, 2012 at 11:49, George Nychis <address@hidden> wrote:

> Trust me, I am far from an EE person, so ignore any outrageous
> misunderstandings ;)  I guess this will start as more of question:  since we
> can't stick Rx/Tx directly in to a wall socket... what actually needs to
> happen to stick an Rx/Tx in to a wall socket?

The impedance of a power line varies a lot with frequency.  Power
couplers use capacitors and transformers to try to match the impedance
the best they can, but it's hard to get anything broadband.

Then there are all the safety issues when dealing with high voltage,
and the protection circuitry for the 50-ohm side to deal with things
like lightning induced spikes, etc.

Johnathan