[Discuss-gnuradio] discussion on USRP-->Wall Socket for Power Line Comms

From: George Nychis
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] discussion on USRP-->Wall Socket for Power Line Comms
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2012 15:00:19 -0500

Okay!  So apparently there is some interest in power line communication for GSoC.  But, what we would want to do is already have a safe way of connecting the USRP in to the wall socket for the student(s), and for the future of GNU Radio and USRP power line communications development.

So, as a goal of this thread I'd like to get some feedback on how we can make this possible.  Ideally, something off-the-shelf would be great, providing the highest amount of safety for those experimenting with it.

Please keep in mind my background is not EE, but I am more than happy to try and lead this and test/try/sacrifice what needs to be done.

Jonathan mentioned that for a project he was working on before, generic 50-ohm wall socket power couplers were made.  I don't know how difficult it would be to replicate something like this.

Evan Merewether suggested picking up some power line telephone extenders from Radio Shack and dissecting them.

Ideally, I think we could connect whatever it is to a basic TX/RX.

Any thoughts here?

- George