Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] detecting spectrum holes
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2012 14:59:20 -0400

On 03/23/2012 02:56 PM, Abdelrahman Ahmed wrote:

2012/3/23 George Nychis <address@hidden>
Finding white space in the spectrum can be done by looking at power across the bins you are monitoring.  I have done White space research with the USRP2 and the WBX, and they worked out great for me.  So you're on the right track!

Take a look at this work, Section 3.1:

They have a basic technique for detecting white space.  Their paper was not about the TV bands, but the technique should work elsewhere.

Best of luck, and welcome!

- George

ok, now i installed ubuntu from scratch on the two laptops not with windows.

so is there something missing in this installation :

 i used this link in synaptic to install gnuradio packages:

11.10 contains 3.2.2.dfsg-1ubuntu7 (http://packages.ubuntu.com/oneiric/gnuradio)

 and this guide to install the other packages :

http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall#Install-Dependencies

After successful installation still there is UHD, i installed it through this:

git clone git://code.ettus.com/ettus/uhd.git

cd uhd/host

mkdir build

cd build

cmake ../

make

make test

sudo make install

#Check where your path is with "find |grep libuhd"

export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:/usr/local/lib

i did not do anything else ??

Ok, someone else has already suggested this, and now I'm going to suggest it more assertively.

http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

If you fetch a packaged-by-the-distrib Gnu Radio, and a UHD from source, you're *guaranteed* to have compatibility/ABI problems.

So, again:

http://www.sbrac.org/files/build-gnuradio

It works, so you don't have to.  It does require that you have SUDO access, but you should have that anyway.

Download it, chmod it 755 and simply run it.  It will acquire SUDO as it needs to and prompt you.

Takes under an hour even on fairly wimpy machines.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator