Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMake build problem

From: matt . nottingham
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] CMake build problem
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2012 19:49:41 +0100

Tom Rondeau writes:
 > On Thu, Apr 26, 2012 at 7:30 AM,  <address@hidden> wrote:
 > >
 > > Hi,
 > >
 > > I'm running debian unstable on a AMD64 platform and am running into a
 > > problem which starts right at the top of the build process for a newly
 > > checkout gnuradio version from git.
 > >
 > > Below is output from running cmake:
 > >
 > > [snip]
 > > -- Performing Test HAVE_WARN_ALL
 > > -- Performing Test HAVE_WARN_ALL - Success
 > > -- Performing Test HAVE_WARN_NO_UNINITIALIZED
 > > -- Performing Test HAVE_WARN_NO_UNINITIALIZED - Success
 > > -- Found PythonLibs:
 > > optimized;/usr/lib/python3.2/config/libpython3.2.so;debug;/usr/lib/python3.2/config/libpython3.2.so
 > >  (found version "2.7.3rc2")
 > > -- Found SWIG: /usr/bin/swig2.0 (found version "2.0.4")
 > > [snip]
 > >
 > > So it found that /usr/bin/python is version 2.7.3rc2, but it decides
 > > to use version 3.2 to link against. This makes the build process
 > > rather sad later on! (Lots of link failures)
 > >
 > > To get around this I changed in CMakeLists.txt
 > >
 > >   find_package(PythonLibs)
 > >
 > > to be
 > >
 > >   find_package(PythonLibs 2.7.3)
 > >
 > > But obviously that'll only work for people running 2.7.3! (I've not
 > > played with cmake before now, so there might be a simple way to fix
 > > it)
 > >
 > > I'm running cmake version 2.8.7.
 >
 > Yes, GNU Radio does not work with Python 3, yet. We will have to make
 > sure it checks that the Python version is less than 3.

Getting it to try and link with the default version of python on the
system would also be good.

 > > However the build process goes further this time, but now breaks with:
 > >
 > > [ 49%] Built target _runtime_swig_doc_tag
 > > [ 49%] Generating doxygen xml for runtime_swig_doc docs
 > > [ 49%] Generating runtime_swig_doc.i
 > > [ 49%] Generating doxygen xml for general_swig_doc docs
 > > [ 49%] Generating general_swig_doc.i
 > > [ 49%] Generating doxygen xml for gengen_swig_doc docs
 > > [ 49%] Generating gengen_swig_doc.i

[snip]

 > >    raise member()
 > > doxyxml.base.Duplicate
 > > make[2]: *** [gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/gengen_swig_doc.i] Error 1
 > > make[1]: ***
 > > [gnuradio-core/src/lib/swig/CMakeFiles/_gnuradio_core_filter.dir/all]
 > > Error 2
 > > make: *** [all] Error 2
 > >

 > > Which I don't know where to start to fix! However I can tell you that
 > > the file its looking for, /home/...../swig/gengen_swig_doc.i doesn't
 > > exist, but I don't know what should have created it.
 > >

 > > Thanks,
 > >
 > > Matt
 >
 > I'm assuming you are running a parallel make? Try just running "make"
 > with no options and see if that works. This looks like a bug that
 > we've had for a while that only shows up on occasion and when running
 > large parallel makes. It generally goes away when you run make again.
 > We thought we had squashed this one, but it seems to becoming more of
 > a problem again.
 >
 > In the future, you can try something like "make -j8 -k". That will
 > finish everything it can, even if there are errors with the doc
 > generation. You can then run "make" after that to capture the rest of
 > it.
 >
 > Tom

Yes, I'd been doing a make -j. Rerunning with just 'make' doesn't
appear to work - it fell over agaon in the same place. So I created a
new build directory, ran cmake in the new directory and then make
(with no -j) and it still fails with the above error for
gengen_swig_doc.i

Thanks,

Matt