Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: New xml tags

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GRC: New xml tags
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 10:59:36 -0700

> Please watch a sample recording
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqLIPHXCM1M (kindly switch to high
> resolution). In my implementation I tried to update grc block
> parametes by handling stdout of an external program and from a file
> too.

This is pretty cool stuff. I bet the same modification/idea could be
used to launch a gui designer tool as well.

> I would mainly like to add two features a) launching of an external
> application and handling the out (may be via stdout or using plugs
> and sockets) b) File loader so that block parameters can be directly
> imported from an standard xml file.

You might consider, rather than launching an external application,
rather, calling into a python module/function that returns some result.

Now it might be that calling into the module launches an external
application, but the idea is that the difficulty of launching and
parsing program specific output is encapsulated into the module.

All GRC properties dialog has to know is how to call a function and
process its return values.

-josh