Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Components needed for Ezcap EzTV dongle

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Components needed for Ezcap EzTV dongle
Date: Mon, 14 May 2012 08:05:29 +0200

On Mon, May 14, 2012 at 5:43 AM, Phil <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 14/05/12 13:16, Andrew Davis wrote:
>>
>> Although they are not technically required, python-support,
>> gnuradio-companion, gr-utils, and gr-wxgui are almost necessary to get
>> anything interesting done. Also i'm not sure UHD is required for the
>> RTLSDR, I think it uses it's own module ( or just write samples to
>> disk and process later with Gnuradio ). It all depends on what you
>> want to do.
>>

> Thanks Andrew,
>
> I thought I read somewhere that UHD was required but I could very easily be
> mistaken. Perhaps someone who is using on of these dongles can let me know.
> Now to complete the next step.
>
> What do I need for Python support?
>
> What do I need for  gnuradio-companion support?
>
> What do I need for gr-utils support?
>
> What do I need for gr-wxgui support?
>
> I've installed several devel packages but evidently not the correct ones. By
> the way, I'm using Mageia version 1, a fork off Mandriva.

There is a build-gnuradio script which is known to work on other
RPM-based systems so maybe you can use that? It should handle all the
dependencies for a full install.
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGR#Using-the-build-gnuradio-script

Otherwise the dependencies are listed in the wiki, but finding the
right list can be tricky. Here is one for opensuse:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/SuseInstall

If that's not sufficient or complete, I know the list on this page is good:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall

When you succeed maybe you can help us update this page, which seems
hopelessly out of date:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/MandrivaInstall

Concerning the UHD dependency, gr-osmosdr also provides a wrapper
around gr-uhd if UHD is avaialble and I think gr-baz provides some
networking tool for UHD devices, hence the dependency.

Alex