Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is it possible to have 2 TX x 1 RX MISO in GNU Ra

From: Alick Zhao
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Is it possible to have 2 TX x 1 RX MISO in GNU Radio
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2012 00:05:16 +0800

On Sat, 2 Jun 2012 17:47:50 -0400, Nick Iliev wrote:
> Hello,
>
>  we have implemented a 2 TX x 1 RX MISO testbed with GNU Radio 3.4 and
> USRP1 . Both transmitters are using at 2.4GHz ( actually tx1 uses
> 2.401GHz and tx2 uses 2.403GHz ) , and are sending data ( BPSK
> modulated ) at the same time ( in the same time slot ).

What is the frequency setting at the receiver side? Do you use two
daughter boards at the receiver? If there's only one daughter board
I think the receiver can only lock to one frequency and the transmitter
of the different frequency might just create interferce. Also you should
consider to compensate the possible frequency offset between tx and rx
in real world. [1] I think you can use two daughter boards at the
receiver and make them to receive signals from two frequencies, but
that's not typical MIMO setup.

IMHO setting up MIMO with USRP1 is not very easy. You need to make
hardware modification to make two USRPs synchronize with one master
device or an external clock. You can find some more info from [2].

[1]
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#Why-is-there-always-a-frequency-offset-when-transmitting-from-one-USRP-to-another
[2] http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/USRPClockingNotes

Alick