Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter design enhancements progress

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Filter design enhancements progress
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 09:40:43 -0400

On Sun, Jun 24, 2012 at 10:05 AM, sreeraj r <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi all,
> During the initial phase of SoC, I was concentrating on improving the GUI
> for filter designing. A brief list of some of the major features added to
> the filter design tool (gr_filter_design) is given below
>
> --Support for multiple views (grid and old tabbed view)
> --Stop-band attenuation configuration via Band-diagram
> --Editable pole-zero plots with conjugate movement support
> --Impulse, Step responses, phase delay plots
> --Overlay plots
>
> A complete update history along with the code can be found in the github
> repository(https://github.com/zeroXzero/gr-filtdes). A small video on the
> current status of the tool can be found here
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oi6PTrht1F8&feature=plcp
>
> The tool is not completely tested as some more bugs need to be patched. A
> few more feature additions like add/delete buttons for poles and zeros,
> alignment of band-diagram, addition of button icons etc are still pending.
> All these additions will be done with in a few days. In the meantime it
> would be really helpful if the community can provide feedback in terms of
> feature additions or bugs so that I can improve the design.
>
> After finishing this work I will start working on the actual IIR filter
> designs as gr-filter has already been merged to the master.
>
> ---
> Regards
> Sreeraj Rajendran
> http://home.iitb.ac.in/~rsreeraj

Hi Sreeraj,

I don't have anything constructive to say about things right now. I've
looked at the video but have not looked at the code or played with it
myself. All I wanted to say was that this is looking fantastic! I'm
really happy with the functionality (and future work you've talked
about). The flexibility and design capabilities are great. I
particularly like the pole-zero plot, both in the ability to see what
the filter looks like and how you can manipulate them graphically to
adjust the filter taps. I think this will be a great educational tool,
now, too.

Thanks for the update.

Tom