Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intercommunicate processes

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Intercommunicate processes
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2012 07:44:59 -0400

On Mon, Jul 30, 2012 at 4:33 AM, Pol Henarejos <address@hidden> wrote:
> Dear list,
>
> I would need to communicate two separated gnuradio programs. I tried to
> use udp_sink / udp_source in the same machine but there are many many
> packets lost. Is there a way to use a kind of sink/source without losses
> to communicate separated programs in Windows?
>
> I also tried to use a tcp stack to obtain a fileno and then use
> file_descriptor_source/sink but in windows is not possible to use
> read/write on a socket descriptor (you can only use recv/send). So I
> need to find another solution but I don't know how to solve it.
>
> Thanks for your help.
>
> --
>
> Pol Henarejos

Pol,
What kind of packet losses are you seeing? It shouldn't be that high,
but UDP gives you no guarantee that packets won't be dropped or even
show up in order. Still, for loopback, I would expect less than 1%
packet loss rate (I think that I'm being overly pessimistic, but I've
heard reports for more), so I'm more just curious what kind of
performance you're seeing on Windows.

You could try to recreate the UDP source/sink as TCP, instead. But if
you have the same kinds of losses, just know that with the
retransmissions, you're going to have to slow things down.

If you were on Linux, I'd suggest using FIFOs on a RAM disk, but I'm
not sure you can do that in Windows.

Tom