Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Creating signal processing blocks in Python on Wi

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Creating signal processing blocks in Python on Windows
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:15:48 -0700

On 08/10/2012 07:48 AM, Tomas Johansson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have recently installed GNU Radio on Windows according to the
> instructions at
> http://code.ettus.com/redmine/ettus/projects/uhd/wiki/GNURadio_Windows,
> and have played around with some simple examples in GNU radio
> companion. No problems there. But I am not sure which steps you should
> take in order to be able to use blocks you have written yourself in
> Python (using GrExtras) in radio companion. Modifying/adding xml files
> in share/gnuradio/grc/blocks seemed to add my new block to the list of
> available blocks, but when I try to execute I get the message
>
> Win32; Microsoft Visual C++ version 10.0; Boost_104700;
> UHD_003.004.003-release
>
> Using Volk machine: sse2

The above 2 are typical prints from libvolk and libuhd, thats good.

> and nothing else happens. I have not been able to find an answer in
> the online documentation. I apologize in advance for the basic
> question.

You should really only need to put the block into your PYTHONPATH, you
know, so that you can import it using the python interpreter.

As far as GrExtras, I havent used it on windows. Just made sure it
builds and unit tests pass. Have you built/installed GrExtras from
source? Set PATH and PYTHONPATH? Able to use and call into blocks from
this project?

As far as the error above, is it freezing there? returning to the
terminal? It could be a segfault. It would be very helpful to find out
what the last line in the python app was before the app got to that
state. Was it run()/start()?

-Josh