discuss-gnuradio

[Discuss-gnuradio] How to utilize multi-thread processor

From: Qing Yang
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to utilize multi-thread processor
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2012 19:07:07 +0800

Hi there,

I am currently doing a OFDM transceiver project based on RawOFDM. We want to implement 20MHz bandwidth transmit/receive, but the RawOFDM code seems to support only narrow band (<1MHz). Once I set the sample-rate larger than 1MHz, my program will block with overrun messages (more details hereĀ http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2012-08/msg00069.html). I think the reason is that at 20MHz sample-rate, USRP produces too much data for the PC to process and drain PC's computation power.

To boost the speed, I have two questions

1) My cpu have 8 threads(4 cores), can I manually dedicate one thread to each gr block, and make it a pipe-line system? Tom mentioned that gnuradio use a "thread-per-block" scheduler (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/discuss-gnuradio/2010-09/msg00274.html) but in my case only two threads are 100% occupied when I run the program.

2) Inside some blocks, we extensively use vector multiplications (e.g., precoding, CFO compensation). I've heard about the use of SSE to boost the speed of vector multiplication. How can I utilize this technology in my program?

Best regards,
--
Yang, Qing
Information Engineering, CUHK