Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture the Rx data using uhd_rx_cfile and

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to capture the Rx data using uhd_rx_cfile and agree with the uhd_fft Scope mode data
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2012 15:28:19 -0700

On 09/27/2012 02:42 PM, LD Zhang wrote:
> Yes. I can understand the LFRX does not have any adjustable gain. But what
> comes out of the USRP source should be samples already digitized. Surely
> there is gain to be adjusted before the ADC. According what I see, it is
> from 0 to 6dB (in voltage?). I don't see how this can be inserted into the
> USRP source block.

You are correct. The N210 has a 6db digital gain. Attached is a GRC
flowgraph that loopsback TX and RX with Basic daguhterboards. You can
see the digital gain slider in action.

The gain parameter in the GRC block is a amalgamation of ADC and RF
frontend gain elements. The API also allows for individual control, but
this level of control is not available in the GRC gain parameter.

> Also I have some related questions:
> 1. the float numbers out of the USRP source block appear to be in volts.
> There is no indication of what units it is in.

They are in counts where 1.0 corresponds to fullscale ADC.

> 2. Is there any way of specifying bandpass filters before the ADC? This
> would probably be independent of the LFRX, but something on the motherboard
> before the ADC? I do see an option in the USRP block that seem to do this.
> However this bandpass may be after the ADC?

The bandwidth parameter is for configuring frontend bandwidth filters.
You can find out here which boards are configurable w/ this feature: