Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cannot make new signal processing block

From: nexy_sm
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] cannot make new signal processing block
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:13:11 -0700 (PDT)

Ok, I suppose the best and fastest way to learn gnuradio is by exploring
simple existing blocks, like adder for example.
I was first thinking about adder and the opened gr_add_cc.h.

I was immediately stuck in the constructor part

gr_add_cc::gr_add_cc (size_t vlen)
  : gr_sync_block ("add_cc",
                   gr_make_io_signature (1, -1, sizeof (gr_complex)*vlen),
                   gr_make_io_signature (1,  1, sizeof (gr_complex)*vlen)),
  d_vlen (vlen)
{
}

I was expecting something like:

gr_add_cc::gr_add_cc (size_t vlen)
  : gr_sync_block ("add_cc",
                   gr_make_io_signature (1, vlen, sizeof (gr_complex)),
                   gr_make_io_signature (1,  1, sizeof (gr_complex))),
  d_vlen (vlen)
{
}

I don't really understand this line:

 gr_make_io_signature (1, -1, sizeof (gr_complex)*vlen)

Can you just explain breafly what is idea behind, cause i was expecting
something more simpler.

Thanks