Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IIR Filter taps

From: Johnathan Corgan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] IIR Filter taps
Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2012 10:57:55 -0800

On Mon, Nov 19, 2012 at 9:22 AM, Ed Criscuolo <address@hidden> wrote:

I agree that changing the way gr_iir_filter takes in the taps could
be disruptive, unless backward compatibility is maintained. Some of
the group are using GnuRadio for operational systems.

Yes.

Here's two more suggestions for solutions:

1.  Add an optional flag parameter to the constructor, with values
    of "Old_API" and "New_API",  with the default set to "Old_API".
    This flag would control how gr_iif_filter interprets the taps.
    It could be maintained this way for some time, with the Old_API
    being deprecated, and eventually change the default to
    New_API, or even make the default a cmake option.

2. Create two subclasses of filter taps that are identical in
   format, and use C++ overloading to determine which constructor
   or set method to use.

I think the first is most straightfoward and consistent with how we've make API changes in the past.

Johnathan