Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Using MacPorts

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio Using MacPorts
Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2012 07:27:35 -0500

> I just recently caught one of these order of include paths in
> gr-uhd/swig. Its so easy to accidentally get it in the wrong order. I'd
> like to take a look: Can you say what component is pulling in the
> installed headers? Is it a specific component, swig module, etc?

Watching the debug output of the post-configure hook, which effectively issues
a "sed" script to do the replacement, everything is effected.  It looks like
the files of issue are "${prefix}/include/gruel/*.h".

> Also; There is also a little swig dependency searcher at the bottom of
> GrSwig.cmake. I wrote this, and its got its flaws.

I hadn't found that yet; I'll try to look at that today since it would be great
to get this done.  Dependencies are a pain; I remember that distinctly when I
(re)wrote the prior build system.

> If you configure,
> uninstall some public headers, and try to build, you may get an error
> until you reconfigure...
>
> http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/cmake/Modules/GrSwig.cmake#n200

Yes, that's how I was testing for this issue.  I'd do what you wrote, then
patch the "build.make" files until CMake was happy, then try again while
watching the debug output; repeat.  That's how I found it was just gruel
headers.

- MLD

ps> While we're on the subject of the build system, can I suggest a slight
change to the printouts?  I'll search around a little this morning to see if I
can change this myself, but maybe someone else (e.g., Josh) knows quickly where
to look and how to change this.

What I'd like to see is if I disable a component on the cmake command line
(e.g., "cmake -DENABLE_VOLK=NO"), then in the message printout is says that
that component was disabled by the user (e.g., "Volk was disabled by the
user.") or something like that.  Right now it just says that the component was
disabled even if everything else was found -- and, thus, it's not clear where
the issue might be (e.g, maybe it was something internal that isn't listed?).
Stating that it was the user's explicit choice to disable the component would
be good from a debug standpoint.

It would also be nice to not even do the checks for that component if it is
disabled by the user.  Since each component's checks are independent (or,
should be), this should be no issue.  I see that this happens with some
components (e.g., gnuradio-core) but not others; or, at least partially they do.