Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] pmt and dictionary blowing out memory

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] pmt and dictionary blowing out memory
Date: Sat, 24 Nov 2012 10:34:14 -0500

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 6:33 PM, Jose Torres Diaz
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I'm using some blocks that I created using pmt dictionaries. Each of these
> blocks can run in an infinite loop, so that it is what I am testing.
>
> I connect 2 blocks and I left them running for 10 minutes, what I found is
> that the memory consumption (looking at using -top) is increasing every time
> the work function is called. Does it mean that dictionaries are not reused
> memory when the work function is called?. Because if that is the case, it
> will explain why the memory consumption increases.
>
> Thanks for your help,
>
> Regards,
>
> Jose.

PMT dictionaries are static structures and cannot be changed (as are
[mostly] all PMTs). When you add an item to a dictionary, you are
actually creating a new dictionary PMT object, not changing the
existing one.

So yes, if you're not handling things properly, you could be
continuously increasing memory usage.

Tom