[Discuss-gnuradio] GNUradio based papers on channel sounding and TDMA

From: Nazmul Islam
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNUradio based papers on channel sounding and TDMA
Date: Wed, 28 Nov 2012 00:55:09 -0500

Hello,

I would like to announce two GNUradio based papers that I published/submitted a few months ago. The full reference of the papers are given below:

1. Muhammad Nazmul Islam, Byoung-Jo J. Kim, Paul Henry, Eric Rozner, "A Wireless Channel Sounding System for Rapid Propagation Measurements", submitted to International Conference on Communications 2013. (http://arxiv.org/abs/1211.4940)

2. Muhammad Nazmul Islam, Shantharam Balasubramanian, Narayan B. Mandayam, Ivan Seskar, Sastry Kompella, "Implementation of Distributed Time Exchange Based Cooperative Forwarding", published in Military Communications Conference 2012
(http://arxiv.org/abs/1210.5424)

I also want to address a particular point about my channel sounding experiments. I have seen several channel sounding based posts in the mailing list where the authors talk about the speed bottlenecks of Gigabit ethernet cable. Basically, the speed bottleneck of the ethernet cable or the computer limits the temporal resolution of the sliding correlator based channel sounding. For example, if you transmit at 10 Mega Symbol/sec, you can only find multipath components at 100 ns, 200 ns, etc. However, this problem can be bypassed by using frequency domain channel sounding. One can send a frequency hopping sequence, determine the frequency domain channel characteristics and then find the channel impulse response through inverse FFT. In this case, the temporal resolution of the multipath components won't depend on the symbol rate. The paper #1 talks about both sliding correlator and frequency domain channel sounding approaches.

I took the opportunity to add a copy on the academic papers section: http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/AcademicPapers.
Feedback and comments will be very appreciated.

Thanks,

Nazmul

--
Muhammad Nazmul Islam

Graduate Student
Electrical & Computer Engineering
Wireless Information & Networking Laboratory
Rutgers, USA.