[Discuss-gnuradio] [ Calculating the amplitude of a signal source ]

From: Ashish Raste
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] [ Calculating the amplitude of a signal source ]
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 17:03:33 +0800

Hi all,

For calculating the amplitude (assume RMS amplitude) of a signal source, I first tried to record the received samples (I'm using a vector signal generator) in a file_sink and thenĀ  thought to use it for my calculation. The frequency of the signal from the signal generator was set to 400M and the sampling rate of the USRP source block (in GRC) was set to 2M. Have attached the block diagr
am below:Inline image 1

I am able to extract the float (the data type I used) values from the file but they are too small to be considered as amplitudes at different points in time i.e the maximum value was 1.03e-09 and minimum was -8.4e-13.

Can anyone please tell me how I can calculate the amplitude of any such signal in real-time? Is this approach of calculating amplitude
the right one OR is there any other smarter way to do it?

Thanks and Regards,

--
Ashish