Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] News on Bugs & Issues

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] News on Bugs & Issues
Date: Mon, 10 Dec 2012 18:34:36 -0500

On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 5:21 PM, Martin Braun (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everyone,

starting now, we would like to re-introduce the GNU Radio issue tracker.
If you don't know what I'm talking about, it's what you get when you
click 'Issues' on our website:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/issues

<snip>

First of all, thanks to Martin for coordinating this, and I'll second our thanks to Ben for stepping up to help us manage the system!

So how does this work now?
Say you've discovered a bug, and know how to patch it. You write the
patch, and submit the patch file to the issue tracker, along with a
description of the problem (or you link to your github with the fixed
code).
When that happens, one of us checks the issue. It might get rejected
(perhaps it violates coding conventions, or the bug fix itself is buggy),
but most likely, it gets assigned to one of the developers. What happens
then depends on the issue at hand, but the goal is to close issues ASAP.
Bug fixes will usually go into the next minor release, anything API
changing into the next major release.

One thing that I wanted to add here. Sometimes we'll come up with a bug that we don't know how to write a patch for. If that's the case, the thing that will help us more than anything is a small, simple test program that demonstrates the bug. The easier it is to reproduce the problem with as minimal amount of code required, the easier it'll be to track down, write a patch, and test it.

Otherwise, just do as Martin says and we can all start to benefit!

Tom