Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gri_portaudio

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gri_portaudio
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2012 20:10:36 -0500

On 12/19/2012 07:59 PM, Tom Rondeau wrote:
On Wed, Dec 19, 2012 at 7:16 PM, kdag <address@hidden> wrote:
hi all, im trying to compile git sources under debian squeeze but can't go further cause i use jackd2 and if i try to install portaudio19-dev the system will try to remove and go down to jackd.
question: do i need portaudio to be enabled on a debian system?
if not, please let me know how to disable it cause with cmake a
./configure --disable-portaudio
helps nada
here the error, please help me out!
thanks!

You do not need portaudio. Even if you don't disable it, it should fail if your system doesn't meet the specs. If it's passing for some reason, we need to patch the script that looks for it.

Tom

The issue seems to be one of conflicting requirements for portaudio, where some apps require a different version of portaudio than we use -- they
  changed the API, I guess.  So on systems that have portaudio (but not with the API *we* need), we'll configure-in portaudio, and then fail
  during the build.  On those systems, installing portaudio19-dev works for *US*, but causes other things to fail, due to API incompatibilities.

I just *love* how, 20-years-on, Linux can't decide on which audio subsystem it uses, so it supports all of them.  With conflicts.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator