Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Wed, 9 Jan 2013 11:02:48 -0500

On Jan 9, 2013, at 9:41 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 2013, at 4:35 PM, Johnathan Corgan <address@hidden> wrote:
>> GNU Radio release 3.6.3 is available here:
>
> For Mac OS X GNU Radio users: This morning (1/9) I updated the MacPorts'
> install to this release ("gnuradio") as well as the latest GIT master
> ("gnuradio-devel") and next ("gnuradio-next").

I forgot to mention: MacPorts' boost port is currently at 1.52 -- the latest
release -- which has bugs in the way it handles threads, does not work with GNU
Radio (and, it seems, many other projects), and hence has been removed from the
GNU Radio acceptable versions.  The fix is already in place for 1.53, but this
release has not yet been made.  Thus, in the mean time you can manually
reinstall 1.51, or activate any version of boost from 1.35 to 1.51.

Follow these commands to manually reinstall 1.51:

  cd ~/Desktop
  mkdir tmp_boost
  cd tmp_boost
  svn co -r 98466
http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/trunk/dports/devel/boost
  cd boost
  sudo port build

You can add variants after "build" if you want; just make sure that those
variants are also added after the "install" command below.  Assuming the build
succeeds, then do:

  ff=`port installed boost | sed -e "1d" -e "s@(active)@@g"`
  sudo port -f deactivate $ff
  sudo port install

and, remember to add any variants from "build" above after "install".  You can
clean up this install via:

  cd Desktop
  sudo rm -rf tmp_boost

Once this install or boost succeeds, you should be ready to go with installing
and/or using GNU Radio in MacPorts.  If one of the GNU Radio ports is already
installed, it should now "just work" without having to be reinstalled.

Remember to not upgrade boost until 1.53 is available via MacPorts.  I hope
that Boost 1.53 will be released soon, to take care of this issue (and, I'm
sure, others).  If you are using MacPorts and have questions about this, feel
free to ping me. - MLD