Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Thu, 10 Jan 2013 21:35:09 +0100

On Thu, Jan 10, 2013 at 2:20 AM, Michael Dickens <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Jan 9, 2013, at 4:33 PM, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
>> Thanks for the detailed instructions.
>>
>> I didn't have macports installed so I started from scratch. I installed
>> macports, then boost 1.51 according to your instructions. Then I try to
>> install uhd before gnuradio:
>>
>> sudo ports install uhd +libusb
>>
>> and that installs boost 1.52 :(
>>
>> If you have any advice for what I should do before continuing with gnuradio,
>> please let me know.
>
> Hi Alexandru - You're welcome!  I'm glad to hear from OSX GNU Radio users.
>
> Chances are that boost 1.51 is still installed, but not active in MacPorts.
> You can view all of the installed boost ports via:
>
>   port installed boost
>
> to verify that it's still around.  If not, try re-doing my instructions for
> installing boost 1.51.  If it is around, you can try this to make sure boost
> 1.51 is the active boost:
>
>   gg=`port installed boost | grep 51 | sed -e "s@(active)@@g"`
>   sudo port activate $gg
>
> If Boost 1.51 is already active, the above will do nothing.  If it is not
> active, it should be made so, an boost 1.52 deactivated (first).  Both GNU
> Radio and UHD work with Boost 1.51, so all you should have to do is
> (re)activate the older Boost.
>
> You can verify which version of Boost is active via:
>
>   port installed boost | grep active

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help. As it turns out, I simply forgot to run the last
step that actually installs boost 1.51 after building it - that
explains why boost 1.52 got installed with uhd. I have now rebuilt
1.51, deactivated 1.52 and installed 1.51. Everything is ok now and I
installed gnuradio without problems.

I used: "sudo port install gnuradio +orc +uhd"
During configuration I saw the message:

WARNING: GNU Radio's VOLK component (which handles vector optimized
instructions and routines) compiles best when using GCC.  The selected
compiler is CLANG, which will result in a fully functioning GNU Radio
install but the VOLK component will not utilize the CPU's
capabilities.

Do you have any experience whether this can be a real performance
issue and what I can do to use gcc instead of clang?

Alex