Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download

From: Michael Dickens
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GNU Radio release 3.6.3 available for download
Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2013 07:17:39 -0500

On Jan 21, 2013, at 11:17 PM, Albert Chun-Chieh Huang <address@hidden> wrote:
> How can I make gnuradio and volk be optimzed for Core i7? generic_orc seems
> not best optimized for core i7.

Hi Albert - I'm glad to hear of your general success in using MacPorts for GNU
Radio.  For your particular question, I'll let the VOLK folks address the broad
question regarding runtime selection of VOLK kernels / machines.  From my
perspective, I'd like to know which kernels / machines were detected at
configuration time.  You can get this info independent of the install via:

{{{
sudo port -d configure gnuradio +docs +grc +orc +python27 +qtgui +sdl +swig
+uhd +wxgui configure.compiler=macports-gcc-4.7
}}}

and watch the output.  Somewhere part way through, you'll see a list like this
one (which is for my "old" laptop's Intel Core 2 Duo (when using the above
command, btw):

{{{
-- CPU width is 64 bits, Overruled arch 32
-- Available architectures:
generic;64;3dnow;abm;popcount;mmx;sse;sse2;orc;norc;sse3;ssse3;sse4_a;sse4_1;sse4_2;avx
-- Available machines:
generic_orc;sse2_64_mmx_orc;sse3_64_orc;ssse3_64_orc;sse4_a_64_orc;sse4_1_64_orc;sse4_2_64_orc;avx_64_mmx_orc
}}}

If you see these options, then there's probably a way to select kernels /
machines are runtime; but, as I said, I'll leave that question up to the VOLK
developers. - MLD