Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Add ldconfig to build instructions?

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Add ldconfig to build instructions?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2013 09:09:58 -0500

On Thu, Feb 28, 2013 at 1:45 AM, Ralph A. Schmid, dk5ras
<address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> My problems a few days ago, when switching between branches, simply came
> from a missing "sudo ldconfig" at the end of the procedure. Maybe it may be
> useful to add a more obvious hint? In
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/BuildGuide it is not
> mentioned, and in
> http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/UbuntuInstall only in the
> broken libtool section.
>
> Of course, the pro should know it, but for beginners this is a PITA, and the
> error message regarding the python path is very misleading.
>
> I can't validate if this is a (K)Ubuntu problem or a more common cause for
> trouble...
>
> With best regards
>

> Ralph.

Ralph,

I switch between versions of GNU Radio constantly on my machines and
haven't had to run ldconfig by hand in a long time. It might be a
specific Kubuntu issue (I run Ubuntu) or something about your
environment or shell that you run.

Still, adding a line in there as a hint that if you see a particular
problem to try running ldconfig in the build instructions. Remember,
gnuradio.org is a community page and you can edit it yourself. Just
follow these steps:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#How-can-I-post-on-this-wiki-use-the-bug-tracker

On the other hand, you could look at this link:
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/FAQ#Experts-only-How-can-I-deliberately-install-GNU-Radio-multiple-times-different-versions

Tom