Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Copyrights using gr-modtool

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Copyrights using gr-modtool
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 11:04:20 -0400

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 10:29 AM, Sean Nowlan
<address@hidden> wrote:
> I've noticed that gr-modtool keeps FSF's copyright assignment for a lot of
> boilerplate (CMakeLists.txt, QA code, etc.) but puts a hook for the end
> user's copyright statement in block source files. Is this a pretty standard
> way of doing things?

Yes, pretty much. Of course, this is just my understanding of how
copyright of works is handled, and obviously IAMAL.

Since the code that is made with gr-modtool comes directly from GNU
Radio, it is 'our' code, so it's copyright FSF, not you. Any
modifications or additions you make to the code at that point is now
yours and therefore you can put your own copyright on it. Also, since
it's made with a GPLv3 tool and copies GPLv3 code, the resulting code
made with this tool is GLPv3, so the license notice in there is also
still appropriate.

Tom