[Discuss-gnuradio] Talking about DSP and SDR [Was: On tunnel.py]

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Talking about DSP and SDR [Was: On tunnel.py]
Date: Sat, 30 Mar 2013 09:54:58 -0400

To move on in this topic, Alex brings up an interesting point. One of
the reasons for this mailing list is to discuss signal processing,
SDR, algorithms, etc. Hopefully in a way that helps us improve either
GNU Radio itself of our use of GNU Radio tools and blocks. I would
really like to see more of this.

The problem is that in the past, every now and then, someone tries to
do this. But it never seems to work or end very satisfactorily. The
mailing list structure seems like it doesn't lend itself to properly
discuss signal processing in a useful way.

To start with, we need to start passing around flowgraphs (preferably
GRC) so that we can all see what's being discussed. There is also the
gnuradio.org wiki that people could use to build pages that better
describe the problem, idea, or suggestion. That format can handle
images, better embedding of formulas, and file attachments (include
data sets that are too big to mail out).

I would love to see someone take this on as a challenge to try to spur
on more discussion about communications. Over the past few years,
we've also gotten much better about using Git and tools like github to
submit patches and fixes. So I would encourage everyone to use the
available tools to help us all better communicate with each other.

Thanks,
Tom