Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Extending UHD USRP Sink in out-of-tree module

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Extending UHD USRP Sink in out-of-tree module
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2013 04:53:15 -0500

On 04/12/2013 07:45 PM, Sean Nowlan wrote:
> I mean to set those controls dynamically based on incoming stream
> tags, similar to the way burst tags work. For instance I designed a
> tx_gain tag that gets read by uhd_usrp_sink and sets the gain using
> set_command_time. I just wanted to know the easiest way to move this
> modified sink to an OIT of tree module, even though I'll be
> duplicating most of the gr-uhd code to do it.

I see. Sounds like it doesn't fit well. I wouldn't recommend tags or for
that matter modifying the source/sink block. Since 1) the control is
async to the data anyway, 2) the control would get delayed by the data
pipeline, 3) it wouldn't make sense in the case of the source block.

Rather I would create another block which opens a usrp session and
accepts control messages to act on. I happen to have one in the works,
but its not ready yet.

Also, if it fit well, you would FWIW, open the usrp device session in
your control block/IP, whatever that may be, and talk directly to it.
That may be convenient. A lot less to maintain out of tree in either
case anyway.

-josh