Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Long PDUs

From: Sean Nowlan
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Long PDUs
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 14:09:26 -0400

On 04/17/2013 01:52 PM, Johnathan Corgan wrote:
On Wed, Apr 17, 2013 at 8:34 AM, Martin Braun (CEL) <address@hidden> wrote:

As you also point out, they work well for packetized data transmission.
When I was working on the new OFDM blocks, I had packets in mind on the
same order as 802.11a packets, so buffer size was never a problem.

For robustness, we should probably have a way to retrieve what the "MTU" is for a tagged stream block.

Just thinking out loud: could this be worked into the tagged_stream_block class? If mtu is left as a default, behavior will be identical to the way it's defined now and work() will always get called with the exact number of items a derived block wants. If a length tag comes along that is greater than the mtu, it should shout its disapproval and/or truncate the packet and/or "fragment" (though this introduces even more nightmares... what's next, fragment offset tags?? actually, maybe...). However if mtu is defined to be bigger than max_noutput_items/relative_rate, we should handle that case somehow.
--
Johnathan Corgan
Corgan Labs - SDR Training and Development Services