Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNU Radio: Use binaries!

From: Arturo Rinaldi
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Installing GNU Radio: Use binaries!
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2013 00:56:37 +0200

Il 19/04/13 11:21, Martin Braun (CEL) ha scritto:
Hi all,

one point of yesterday's developer's call was the available binaries.

A while back, installing GNU Radio meant installing it from source.
Anything else wasn't really an option, which is why Marcus wrote
build-gnuradio to make that as painless as possible.

Things have changed! I would like to point out the fantastic work that
has been done by Maitland, who makes our Debian (and therefore Ubuntu)
packages, as well as the guys from Ettus, who host binaries for Ubuntu,
Fedora and Windows.

Nowadays, you don't need to install from source. In fact, if you're new
to all of this, we recommend you don't. If you install from binaries,
you have a GNU Radio version that's just fine.

There's only one caveat: On some systems, the distributed packages might
be a bit too old. If it's older than 3.6.0, installing by hand is
better.

Of course, if you're a developer and need the latest and greatest
features, you can still use our git or tarballs. But if you're just
trying it all out, just make your own life easier by using the binaries.

Hopefully we can get rid of the myth that GNU Radio is hard to install!

MB

Hi Martin, sorry to bother you. I was wondering if there is a way to build the deb from the source tarball. I made some time an attemp with the following commands :

$ mkdir build
$ cd build
$ cmake -DCPACK_GENERATOR=deb ../
$ make package

and i almost was successful in doing that, however i had some issues with the control version and the correct naming of the file. I am asking this because binaries for ubuntu 13.04 are not still available and i'd like to build one on my own.....are these ones I've listed all the correct steps to perform to build a binary file of gnuradio or not ?

Thank you in advance

Kind  Regards,

                 Arturo