[Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble posting messages to block's message port

From: Sean Nowlan
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Trouble posting messages to block's message port
Date: Thu, 2 May 2013 18:35:12 -0400

I'm trying to create a block that accepts messages and prints them out. I created a block that extends gr_block and it has no stream ports: I'm using gr_io_signature(0,0,0) for input and output. I am following the guidance of this page:

http://gnuradio.org/doc/doxygen/page_msg_passing.html

From a test Python script I instantiate a top_block /tb/ and then connect my stream-port-less block with tb.connect(block_instance). I follow the lead of the page above to post a message, but the bound handler function never gets called (I inserted a line to print "I'm here!!" to stdout when the function gets called).

Am I having issues because my block doesn't have any stream inputs or outputs?

Thanks,

Sean