Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] i am working on cooperative communication i have

From: Josh Blum
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] i am working on cooperative communication i have q about error rate block
Date: Tue, 14 May 2013 17:53:55 -0500

On 05/13/2013 06:54 AM, Irfan Ullah wrote:
> hi all,
>         sometimes i found error rate it will result 3.4 or 2.3 or 4.0
> something like this but in reality BER
>
> cant be greater than 1 so what is meaning of BER result   picture has been
> added of how i find BER.

http://gnuradio.org/cgit/gnuradio.git/tree/grc/grc_gnuradio/blks2/error_rate.py

One of GRC's first blocks. :-)

So that block is expecting an input stream of bytes and on the other
port, the same input stream but randomly "messed up". But if you are off
by even one byte, its going to fail correlating anything and give you
50% error rate or something.

It might also be expecting a symbol per byte, and I think the byte
stream in that flow graph, the bits are packed back to back -- which
might explain the strange numbers.

I hope that helps,

-josh