[Discuss-gnuradio] How to save/read sc8 format to/from file and convert

From: Rickard
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] How to save/read sc8 format to/from file and convert it to complex float 32?
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2013 12:38:36 +0200

Hi gurus,

- Which is the simplest way, preferably directly in grc, to compactly save 8bit
I/Q data (sc8) from an UHD source to a file instead the of the standard format
complex float 32 (which is 4 times larger) ?

- Then also, how to convert received and saved sc8 data to the normal complex
float 32 in grc?

The reason is that I want to take advantage of the sc8 reduced precision by
reducing the file size when storing received data to file.   That is, not only
halve the bandwidth "over the wire" (compared to sc16) but also reduce the file
size when storing.

Or is there alternative and better ways to accomplish this when receiving and
saving raw 8 bit I/Q data?

In GRC I see its possible to select the output format "complex int 16", instead
of the standard "complex float 32", but I don't find how to process or
interpret this format further (e.g. saving, reading, converting to complex
float 32, etc).

Thanks,
Rickard