Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GUI problems with 3.7

From: Nathan West
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GUI problems with 3.7
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:06:13 -0400

On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 3:39 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Marcus D. Leech <address@hidden> wrote:
> > There are safe uses for unconstrained string functions.  Just, well, not
> > very many...
> >
> > --
> > Marcus Leech
>
> No. Never, ever, ever is it ok. I say this using a strlen call now...
> (but it's against strings that are hard-coded into our files by us, so
> if that breaks, we have only ourselves to blame).
>
> Also, just pushed a fix. This should take care of things.
>
> Tom

Pardon my ignorance here, but would someone mind explaining this a
little more? My intuition is saying that it's unsafe to use strcmp on
user input because there's no checking that there is in fact a sane
string (null terminated), but I haven't been around long enough to be
sure that's the issue or if there's just something more sensible in
boost.

I'd be happy with a link on the topic; I couldn't find anything useful googling.

-Nathan