[Discuss-gnuradio] Basic TX and RX freq issue

From: Karan Talasila
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Basic TX and RX freq issue
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2013 09:44:08 +0530

Hi,
     I am working on using gnuradio to test the performance of my powerline communication setup from 0-200MHz. So I am using Basic TX and Basic RX for my tests as they both are in range from 0-250MHz. I understand that basic RX has receive frequency from -32Mhz to +32 Mhz and the frequencies above that are aliased and found within this range. Now when i ran benchmark_tx.py I see that if i transmit at tx freq 120Mhz and use benchmark_rx.py at frequency  120MHz, I am not getting any output and it's timing out. So i changed the tx-freq to -8Mhz knowing that 120Mhz is aliased to -8Mhz. I kept the rx freq at 120Mhz. When i do this, I see an immediate succesfull reception of packets. I can also see my fft being centred at 120Mhz after running uhd_fft. So my question is

1. Can i use this result and say that my setup is working fine at 120Mhz? It is an image frequency formed by aliasing.

2. I used the same transmitter setting with tx-freq at -8Mhz and changed the recieve frequency to 56Mhz(64-8) which is another alias at -8Mhz. I again saw a clear reception of packets and an fft centred at 56Mhz Does that in anyway mean that there is simultaneous transmission at all the particular aliased frequencies like 56Mhz,188Mhz etc.

--
Regar
ds,

Karan Talasila