Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk: Am I getting all that's available for ARM?

From: Monahan-Mitchell, Tim
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Volk: Am I getting all that's available for ARM?
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2013 19:48:48 +0000

Hi, Marcus,

> I was just a little confused, because I read the volk/gen/archs.xml template,
> and figured if
> has_neon() returned true, -mfloat_abi=soft and -nfpu=neon would have been
> added to the C_FLAGS...
> and cmake's output contained "Performing Test have_mfloat_abi_softfp -
> Failed", so I guessed that (since I was quite sure that your machine
> supports softfp) it was disabled by lack of compiler flags...

Actually, I compared my VMware x86 gnuradio cmake output to my ARM target, and
it also failed the same abi_softfp test (but of course volk is much more
exciting on the x86 target).

But I also fiddled with that flag for a while: if I add -mfloat_abi=soft to my
CFLAGS in the cmake command, it fails early as it can't find crti.o and crt1.o.
But I was smart enough to find those on may target, and set LIBRARY_PATH to
help. But then I get an error telling me there is a mismatch between the ABI of
my toolchain and the ABI of the compiler output. So the soft flag came back out.

Because of the 'abi_softfp' test failing on my x86, I decided I did not need to
re-build the ARM tool chain to support soft ABI to try and help Volk. Is that
still correct? (I have been able to build and run gnuradio without the soft
flag just fine).

Thanks,
Tim