Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gqrx in MacPorts

From: Alexandru Csete
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gqrx in MacPorts
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 17:06:20 +0200

Hi Michael,

I wasn't very clear in my original explanation so let me try again.

If you build gqrx using:

$ qmake
$ make

Then gqrx will be built without any portaudio specific code. It will
use gr-audio for both audio input and output, whcih in turn will use
the native OS X backend unless the user configures gnuadio to use
something else. This will work just fine except that input source is
broken so no funcube dongle support and gqrx will not be able to
enumerate the available audio devices (gr-audio does not have such
API).

If you build gqrx using:

$ qmake AUDIO_BACKEND=portaudio
$ make

then gqrx will use portaudio specific code meaning:
- It will set the GR_CONF_AUDIO_AUDIO_MODULE environment setting to
portaudio so that gnuradio will use the portaudio backend regardless
of what the user has configured (I assumed that 99% of gqrx on the Mac
users have no idea that they can configure gnuradio via
~/.gnuradio/config.conf)
- It will use portaudio API functions to enumerate the avaialble audio
devices and present that to the user. This is used for both input
devices and output devices.

Because of the last point portaudio is a build time option in gqrx.

Alex