[Discuss-gnuradio] Detecting "EOF" in stream-in-message-out block

From: Peter Horvath
Subject: [Discuss-gnuradio] Detecting "EOF" in stream-in-message-out block
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2013 16:35:34 -0500

Hi,

I'm having hard time using GNU Radio to replace Simulink :)

I'd like to build a QA flowgraph (think of evaluating a BER vs. SNR curve) to assess the performance of my signal processing chain. The problem is that the signal processing chain starts with blocks passing messages around, then there are ordinary stream blocks, but at the receiving side, I again have a block with stream input and message output.

Propagating PMT_EOF tags on the transmitter side takes care of shutting down the flowgraph whenever I want it to, and as the input for the stream blocks dry up, they die nicely as well. However, I'm unable to detect the end of the "input" in my receiver block, which takes stream and produces message. The flowgraph simply hangs indefinitely as expected (?), because I don't propagate EOF PMTs downstream, and hence set_done() doesn't get called down the path.

I'd like to avoid passing stream tags through the stream blocks from the transmitter to the receiver, for multiple reasons (not only because I'm lazy but it'd also require changing a lot of stuff in the intermediate message-passing blocks. Also EOF should be able to come after the last piece of data, independently, not somehow glued to it.)

Is there a better way to detect this?
Thanks,
Peter