Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Constellations in OOT projects

From: Tom Rondeau
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Constellations in OOT projects
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 11:09:05 -0400

On Fri, Sep 20, 2013 at 7:55 PM, Michael Berman <address@hidden> wrote:
> I am attempting to add a custom constellation class to be used with the
> generic_mod_demod object for digital PSK.  I have the code working as a
> simple addition to the gnuradio source with a re-compilation, however I
> would like to set this up similar to an Out Of Tree module (although it
> isn't entirely a standalone module).  Would the way I go about approaching
> this be the same as the adding an Out Of Tree module tutorial on the
> gnuradio website?  Or would there be a preferred method than the gr_modtool.
> I would like to set this up so that the code I add sits in the gr::digital
> scope and have everything look as though it all sits in the
> constellation.{cc, h, i} files.  Does anybody have recommendations for
> attacking this task?
>

> Thank you very much,
>
> Michael Berman

Hi Michael,
Please use a proper subject line in the future to help us sort and
keep track of things.

As to your question, that shouldn't be a problem. You should be able
to create a class in your OOT module and inherit from
gr::digital::constellation (or one of it's children). And just putting
it inside the gr::digital namespace. This will obviously now exist in
your own lib<yourlibrary>.so and not in libgnuradio-digital.so. So I'm
not sure what you mean by "sits inside constellation.{cc,h,i}". If you
are in an OOT project, you wouldn't be able to add this directly to
the gnuradio-digital library or Python module (ok, there's a way to do
the latter by smashing it in during install, but that's seriously ugly
business that you want no part of).

And use gr_modtool. Definitely the best, easiest, and preferred way of
setting things up. When creating your new class, use 'gr_modtool add'
and for the 'code type' use 'noblock.'

--
Tom
GRCon13 Oct. 1 - 4