Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dual coherent channel rtl_sdr

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] dual coherent channel rtl_sdr
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:41:42 -0400

On 09/23/2013 10:59 AM, Juha Vierinen wrote:
I was playing around with the rtl_sdr dongles and came up with a trivial hack to build a receiver with multiple coherent channels. I do this basically by unsoldering the quartz clock on the slave units and cable the clock from the master rtl dongle to the slave units (I've attached some pictures).

You still have to do sample alignment in software, but this is relatively easy. There are a lot of cool applications, such as a dual frequency beacon satellite receiver, interferometry, or passive radar that you can now do with $16.

juha
So, what were your test conditions?

I'm feeding a +3.3dBm signal from a high-precision communications test set at 28.8Mhz to two of those dongles.

Then I'm feeding in a 45Mhz sine wave into the two devices RF input through a splitter and variable attenuator.

The result is horrible relative-phase-noise between the two channels.  They dance all over the place on the scope display.

In comparision, a B100 with TVRX2, under the same conditions, works flawlessly, with no appreciable relative phase jitter between the
  two channels.

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator