Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GOES LRIT???

From: Patrik Tast
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GOES LRIT???
Date: Fri, 25 Oct 2013 15:56:58 +0300

Hi Rydel,

Right, you will first get CCSDS frames (bpsk-demodulated) let us call
that file lrit-frames.dat. To create images from the frames
(lrit-frames.dat) we need to unpack the data (lrit-frames.dat) using the
RICE algorithm to a new file say goes-13-lrit-frames.lrit. Since the
data rate is low we could rice-decode the frames (10 frames/earth disk)
on the fly, of course.

The (NASA) RICE algorithm seems to be fairly easy BUT I haven't bothered
to try since the result (full-disk) ain't that valuable for weather.
You'll get nice images of Tellus, that's 4 sure.

The RICE lib from NOAA is found here
http://www.noaasis.noaa.gov/LRIT/software.html It doesn't link (on
linus), we've asked if they could release source-code so we could make
it cross-platform (last year)....

We will support you if you want to have a go. We have antennas standing
by at LA (Los Alamitos)

Patrik