Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block fo

From: Darren Long
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block for GNURadio using GPU acceleration
Date: Sun, 27 Oct 2013 21:18:58 +0000

On 27/10/13 21:02, Alexandru Csete wrote:
On Sun, Oct 27, 2013 at 8:45 PM, Darren Long <address@hidden> wrote:

I'd like to be able to use this with my KX-3 perhaps as slowly as 48kHz :)
Daren,

Do what exactly?
The purpose with gr-fosphor is to visualize more data that what is
possible with snapshot-type FFT. This ensures that no data is lost
between to screen updates. But for such low bandwidth you can just
plot everything without loosing any information. You could do some
history buffering and averaging to get the look and feel of gr-fosphor
but it will not give you the same real time effect. It will be the
plain old "FFT averaging" concept that we know  and you don't even
need a GPU to do that.

Alex

Well, the fosphor waterfall itself isn't of much use at high rates as the signals just whizz of the screen before you get a chance to look at them. The magic, as you point out, is in the fosphor FFT plot, which is awesome! All I would like is for the waterfall to not be jerky at moderate sample rates. I find that a waterfall presents a better target than an FFT plot for a click-to-tune function, but a jerky one is not good.

Cheers,

Darren