Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Resolution of USRP N210 and N200

From: Isdren Gineer
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Resolution of USRP N210 and N200
Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2013 09:22:09 -0800

To add to what Ben has wrote, if decimation is involved in the processing stages it is possible to get a higher resolution than that of the initial samples. For example, a decimation by a factor of two can increase the bit precision by one. So in this case, it could depend on where the interface is being defined. Perhaps the ADC chips being used are indeed 14 bits, as per the spec sheet, but the implementations of the different LFRX versions may have different post-ADC processing stages. If this is the case, while the precision of the ADC chips is 14 bits, the output of the LFRX could have a higher resolution.

For those wanting to learn more, this is the principle behind sigma-delta ADCs.