Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to use FFT without grc block

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] how to use FFT without grc block
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2014 17:59:28 +0100

Hi Nasi,

this has totally gotten out of hand. Please stop.

We still have no idea of what you're trying to do. We'd usually really
like to help you, but all help we offered so far was not really
welcomed by you *at all*.

> FFTW documentation is not helpful, you guys have been working on
this for ages, now you can't see the challenge in that.

Ok, as Martin and Aditya said, when you want to do an FFT in a C++
software of your own, we must expect you to both know how what an FFT
actually does and how to use buffers in C/C++.

As it seems again, you're turning to us to help you in understanding
basic concepts that we, as a helping community, must assume you try to
work on yourself. If you're having a minor problem with C++ in the
context of GR, just ask. If you have a question regarding the way GR
works that you can not solve by reading the obvious information
sources (that is, www.gnuradio.org), just ask.
If you can't use the supplied functionality because you simply are not
yet good enough at C++, we can't be the ones to teach you that. This
is discuss-gnuradio, not cplusplus-beginners-help.

> Of course, I will write my code sooner or later, but you guys also
can do smt. to improve it.
Sorry, we're not here to improve your code; especially not if you
haven't even taken the effort to write it. We are here because we like
to help people use GNU Radio, but it ends at the point where we do
their work. In your case, that job is understanding how to use classes
that take pointers to input buffers, and to learn the basic principles
of operation of GNU Radio.

> For an near example, look at any any cc language documentation.
This is totally out of scope of this mailing list, sorry. GNU Radio is
not about learning to program C++. Every line you write will of course
improve your programming skills. But using GNU Radio from C++ demands
for a solid knowledge of the programming language beforehand. And you
seem to lack that.

> Again, it is up to you, more people understand, more users will
implement your code. It is a kind of marketing.

Again, the code you're trying to use is not something that someone
else who is not already using GNU Radio would want to use. It is just
something you *can* use from *within* GNU Radio. Still, we assume that
to any feasibly interested outsider with a little background in C++,
the supplied doxygen is enough. Sorry.

You seem to be offended, and I hope that's not the case. From my
perspective, a lot of people tried to be really helpful and show you
the things you need to learn until you can start to use the
functionality you want to have. We have invested a lot of time in it,
to help you for free with no personal benefit.
I will stop (and I presume the others do, too) to discuss this issue,
not because I don't want to make it easy for you, but because I really
can't simplify it (honestly, fft::fft_complex is one of the most easy
to understand classes), nor see any benefit in telling you again and
again that you need to learn C++ before you use C++ classes, need to
understand the concepts of a DFT before you use an FFT, and point you
to different helpful resources that you simply smite because they
can't break the stuff down for your understanding.

Greetings,
Marcus