Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block fo

From: Sylvain Munaut
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] gr-fosphor : New RTSA-like visualization block for GNURadio using GPU acceleration
Date: Mon, 3 Feb 2014 23:02:53 +0100

Hi,

> However I will follow the issue from time to time, as I think it would be
> great to have beignet available for this (and other) purposes.

Yes, it'd be great and I would love if a beignet dev was also
interested and SDR and tried to make it work and implement the missing
stuff.
Or a SDR guy experience in GPU programming that could hack both in
beignet and fosphor.

> Also I am keen on looking into how the colored spectrum view is implemented
> by you ( I have no glue and have not yet looked into it). HOWEVER: I did some
> offline studies on this kind of plots a while ago in python. what I found to
> look nice was the following idea:
>
> Plot like a monochrome FFT with persistence on and where each of the line has
> some alpha (even the first one). So naturally the more often a peak occurs
> with the same level, the stronger (or more opaque) the point will be. Then
> apply a simple jet colormap (or any other suitable colormap) to the
> monochrome plot. As said, I have not looked into your code yet, chances are
> you are doing exactly that.

Actually that's not at all implemented like this at all. You might
want to look at my grcon slides for more info. The code is pretty well
optimized (from a math point of view) which makes it a bit hard to
understand wtf is going on ...

What you describe is closer to what's implemented in the 'persistence'
mode of the WX sink. However it doesn't look as good but that might be
because the WX sink has much less spectra/second processed.

> This, by the way would not only make sense for the spectrum view, but also
> for the scope as it gives some nice colored eye-diagrams.

Yes, that'd probably be nice to try as well.

Cheers,

    Sylvain