Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (GSoC) MIMO system

From: YiZiRui Zhou
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] (GSoC) MIMO system
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2014 00:08:00 +0800

On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 11:22 PM, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
On Mon, Feb 24, 2014 at 12:36 AM, Alick Zhao <address@hidden> wrote:
> On 02/24/2014 12:33 AM, YiZiRui Zhou wrote:
>> Hello everyone,
>>

>> I'm a graduate student from China. I major in Computer Science and my
>> research focus on wireless networks. Today, I'm glad to share some of my
>> ideas on MIMO with you. (maybe a little pleonastic)
>>

> Nice to see a Chinese face here :)
>

>> PS: I work on this project for both study and research purpose, before
>> it I have gone through many relative papers and tutorials on how to
>> build a MIMO system in GNU Radio. So I feel that implementing a MIMO
>> system in GNU Radio is feasible. Nevertheless, I have to treat it
>> cautiously since it is really complicated to make it work. Now, I have
>> already built an elementary MIMO node with two USRPs (figure of the AP
>> is attached to the end of the Email) and I'm working on a new module
>> (gr-mimo) based on tx_ofdm.grc and rx_ofdm.grc to implement uplink
>> transmission. The next step is to debug and test the uplink
>> transmission. Since there is no gr-mimo standard module in GNU Radio, I
>> guess this project might be useful to GNU Radio beginners. If it has the
>> honor of being involved in Google Summer of Code(GSoC) 2014, that would
>> be fantastic. Anyway, I am eager to get some insights from you. :-)
>>

> Since you have done a lot of research, you should feel *confident* it is
> feasible. I was involved in a MIMO project when I was doing my bachelor
> thesis about two years ago, and we implemented a 2x2 MU-MIMO system with
> CSI feedback and transmit precoding on USRP and GNU Radio. However, it
> only implements downlink transmission and lacks of OFDM (so just narrow
> band). Nevertheless it proved the feasibility.  Unfortunately we hadn't
> furthered that research since then. It's really glad to see you want to
> explore it tightly with upstream. I attach the link to my thesis report
> (it is in Chinese) below, and hopefully you will find something helpful.
>
> [1]
> http://cloud.alick.me/public.php?service=files&t=0a67a7f2d09a1b4385dc85018d487918
>
> Regards,
> --
> Alick
> Fedora release 20 (Heisenbug) user
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Alick

Yes, and Matt Ettus and I proved that we could to 2x2 MIMO OFDM with
GNU Radio on USRPs a number of years ago (there was not reason to
think that we couldn't; just had to be done). Our code, though, was a
complete mess and fragile at the time. It's even more obsolete now
that we've replaced the OFDM layer. Which is why it's time to get this
done properly in GNU Radio.

Tom