Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Multiple students working on an idea.

From: Martin Braun
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] GSoC: Multiple students working on an idea.
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2014 10:49:08 +0100

On 03/09/2014 07:51 PM, Jens Elsner wrote:
>> I take this to mean I should have both students submit proposals, and
>> that there's a possibility both of them will be selected to work on
>> the project. Does that sound right? I'm guessing my project idea is so
>> obscure there's very little chance of Google wanting to dedicate *two*
>> students to it. But it seems like that's the only way both students
>> will be able to receive a stipend. Bummer...
>
> Google only tells us how many slots for students we get, they don't care
> about
> how we allocate them to projects. I was a mentor for two LDPC-related
> projects
> last year. The projects covered the same area and we decided to split
> the work
> along the lines of different encoding/decoding algorithms. I think your
> proposal could be handled in a similar way.

Exactly -- provided that:
* You are willing to mentor two students
* They both individually apply *and* are among the best applicants
* You can find different milestones for each student, that are each
verifiable by any outsider

In theory, the proposals can overlap a lot, since, in theory, both
students might not know of each other's. However, in this case, I
recommend some prior splitting up of tasks.

Martin