Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd_fft missing

From: Marcus D. Leech
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] uhd_fft missing
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 2014 15:31:59 -0400

On 03/16/2014 03:20 PM, Chris Stankevitz wrote:
Hello,

Using gentoo linux I installed uhd and gnuradio with the commands
"emerge uhd" and "emerge gnuradio".  According to
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/HowToUse:

"GNU Radio comes with a large variety of tools and programs... The
most commonly used tools include uhd_fft"

Unfortunately I do not have uhd_fft on my system.  I do have
uhd_cal_rx_iq_balance, uhd_cal_tx_iq_balance , uhd_images_downloader,
uhd_cal_tx_dc_offset, uhd_find_devices, and uhd_usrp_probe.

According to
http://gnuradio.org/redmine/projects/gnuradio/wiki/InstallingGRFromSource:

"If you want to be able to use USRP devices, you need to install UHD
before installing GNU Radio."

Questions:

Q1: Why do I not have uhd_fft on my system?
I can't answer that one

Q2: What is the technically going on that leads to the warning about
installing UHD before gnuradio?  What are the consequences of
installing UHD after GNU Radio?
If you're building from source, the source-build needs to know where UHD is installed on your system before it can build gr-uhd, since gr-uhd links again UHD libraries. It can't very well do that until UHD has already been installed....

Q3: Which package provides the file uhd_fft: GNU Radio, UHD, or something else?
It's part of gr-uhd/apps

Thank you,

Chris