Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Phase errors and expected behavior of in-flight s

From: Kevin Reid
Subject: Re: [Discuss-gnuradio] Phase errors and expected behavior of in-flight samples when a flowgraph is reconfigured
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2014 19:46:19 -0700

[quoting reordered for regularity]

On Apr 22, 2014, at 2:24, Alexandru Csete <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Tue, Apr 22, 2014 at 2:42 AM, Kevin Reid <address@hidden> wrote:
>> On Apr 21, 2014, at 10:43, Tom Rondeau <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> Seems like you could disconnect the entire flowgraph and reconnect to make
>>> sure all data is getting flushed and you should maintain sync that way. It
>>> might sound like a big hammer, but it'd be good to know if that works.
>>
>> From my non-systematic observations so far, you're probably right that this
>> would restore sync. However, doing so would require a nontrivial
>> modification to many hier blocks in my application (of which there are a
>> lot), wouldn't actually fix the underlying problem, and would be undesirable
>> because it would mean things that (logically) are unaffected by the UI
>> action would drop data.
>
> It is my understanding that top_block.disconnet_all() only disconnects
> blocks that were connected at the top block level and will not destroy
> your hier_blocks.

That is correct. I had interpreted Tom Rondeau's suggestion as being to
reconnect _every connection in the flowgraph_, i.e. including all internal
connections of hier blocks.

As it happens, my top block already uses disconnect_all every time it
reconfigures, so I'm already doing that much.

General followup: I have reduced one case of the problem and filed a bug.
<http://gnuradio.org/redmine/issues/667>

--
Kevin Reid                                  <http://switchb.org/kpreid/>